vlc with framebuffer

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Sun Aug 5 15:40:22 CEST 2001

Hi,

I really like vlc, it has worked on more than a few systems for me and it
seems to be very stable.

But on one system I have a problem, and I'd really like to get it running
there.

The system is an Athlon 1 GHz, with a matrox g400.  It runs vanilla
redhat71, with a recompiled kernel using the matroxfb.  I do this because
I have a TV connected to the second head (in PAL mode).  I have everything
set up OK to run X on both screens (in clone mode) at 800x600x16bpp.

As opposed to the standard mga drivers from matrox, xawtv now manages to
overlay on the second head.

Ok, on to vlc : when I start vlc, it tries to use the XVideo
port, and then complains it can't find it and segfaults.  Using SDL,
basically the same thing, but a crash from SDL.  X11 is just a little too
slow, so I can't use that either.

So my questions :

a) shouldn't vlc exit normally when not being able to get xvideo ?
b) there's an "fb" module in the vlc source, is this meant as an output
module ? If so, can I expect better results with it ? Should I run it from
X ? How can I make sure that's what it's using ?

Thanks in advance for the help and congratulations on a great program !

Thomas

her warm white belly
in the life I'd lived
had seen nothing finer