animation in the subtitles

Chris Jensen christopher.jensen at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 09:04:42 CEST 2001

Hi,
I was just mucking around with the subtitles in ghost busters (region 4,
deluxe wide screen presentation) and it seems that to go with the commentary
sound track they have silhouette of the three guys doing the commentary, but
currently vlc doesn't seem to handle it properly. Basically if I select
either of the first two subtitles (which are labelled English and Language
2) then a white silhouette of the three guys appear (although from the looks
of the back of the case it should be black). After a while the silhouette
disappears, but if I switch between the two subtitle channels quickly I can
see different silhouettes appear, so I'm guessing it's meant to be a moving
picture, but vlc doesn't seem to support this. Here's a sample of the output
from vlc launched with
 vlc -vvvvvv -t 9 -T 4 --input dvd /dev/hdc --fullscreen
(I'm using vlc 0.2.83)

spudec: trying to gather a 0xa000 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xe4a0 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xaca0 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa0e4 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa0b4 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa000 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xec60 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xb8a0 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa069 long subtitle
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa0c0 long subtitle
spudec error: unknown command 0xa0
spudec: trying to gather a 0x121a long subtitle
spudec error: could not allocate p_src
spudec: trying to gather a 0xda20 long subtitle
spudec error: unknown command 0x70
spudec: trying to gather a 0xa045 long subtitle
spudec error: unknown command 0x19
spudec: trying to gather a 0x63c6 long subtitle
spudec error: unknown command 0xd1
spudec: trying to gather a 0x2000 long subtitle
spudec error: could not allocate p_src
spudec: trying to gather a 0x70a3 long subtitle
spudec error: unknown command 0xa0
spudec: trying to gather a 0xf4a0 long subtitle

Chris Jensen