vlc 0.2.90 and suse 7.3 - success

Michael T. Babcock mbabcock at web.fibrespeed.net
Tue Oct 16 16:13:21 CEST 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:52:49AM +0200, Michael Flohr wrote:
> Someone else reported problems with kernel 2.4.10, namely that
> playback was not anylonger smooth. Since SuSE 7.3 works with kernel 2.4.10,
> I wonder whether you experience the same problem, or whether your
> DVD palyback is smooth. I ask because I am considering to upgrade to
> SuSE 7.3, but I would definitely not like to loose my capability to
> watch DVDs on Linux.

I am using a badly hacked up version of RedHat 6.1 with Linux
2.4.12 and glibc 2.1 with vlc and it is working very well and
smoothly as long as I do "hdparm -X34 -d1 /dev/hdg".  I'm using
an AMD Duron 750 CPU with 100MHz SDRAM and I have 30-40% CPU usage
during video + audio playback.

I also had to figure out that /dev/sr1 works for playing DVDs, not
the hdg device, even though I use the latter for mounting CDs on
the drive.  Some better documentation on this is needed somewhere,
but it might be smart to add it to the user's manual for vlc for now.
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/