VCDs in Linux

Nironkush Rick Das nironkush.geo at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 15:55:05 CEST 2002

Rich,

Here's why you can't cp files from a vcd:

A vcd has 1 ISO-9660 block followed by raw (mpeg)
data. The initial ISO-9660 block makes Linux think
it is just any other ordinary CD and you can
successfully mount it and see its contents. After
all, the meta data is all on the initial block.
But in reality, the entire vcd's format is not of
any file system as such, so you can't do normal copy
operations from there to your hard disk.

The dd command can help you read all the data after
the first iso-9660 block and dump it all as an mpeg
file in your hard disk if you like. See the manual
page for dd for various options to play around with.

Or if you are trying to burn vcd's, try these URL's -
http://www.satlug.org/~bigjnsa/vcd-linux.htm
http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

Rgds, Rick.