[vlc] Re: Windows version: can't connect to UDP/RTP streams

Bart Kerver Bart.Kerver at surfnet.nl
Mon Mar 24 15:55:22 CET 2003

Hi Matteo,

>>What does the applet say?
>
> "Sorry, uw verbinding heeft geen multicast ondersteuning"
> I don't speak dutch, but I think I got the first word ;-)
> I have a broadband internet connection, my network is a kind of  WAN.
> The multicast server i want to connect to is internal to this WAN, and is
> not accessible from outside of it.

Whoops, that was the Dutch version... see
http://www.surfnet.nl/innovatie/surfworks/streaming/mt/index_en.shtml

This JAVA applet tests for multicast connectivity. If your network has
  multicast support, it will report so, if not it reports that also. The
message is that your connection is _not_ multicast-enabled (towards the
rest of the world).

We have tested this applet in several locations of know and unknow
multicast supported sites and it proves to work fine. As far as I know,
the applet does NOT use any windows specific calls and should therefore
report multicast connectivity correctly (based on JAVA).

It will misreport as you have a server multicasting your MAN/LAN, while
the applet tries for multicastgroups on the researchnetworks/internet.

I think this is as far as I can help you.

Regards,
Bart

--
Bart Kerver