[vlc] Re: a question of concern

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Fri Dec 3 09:43:16 CET 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 19:29, Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004, SELLERSFARMING at wmconnect.com wrote :
> > i have recently downloaded some avi movie files off the internet,,,but
when i
> > started to play them all i got was audio and no video..so iam wondering
if i
> > downloaded the videolan progam will it be able to play my video,,,so i
can
> > watch it as well as hear it,,,thankyou carol
>
> It might be that they are using a Codec VLC doesn't support. You can
> open the view->message window and look a message talking a unsupported
> track...
>
> VLC 0.8.x should be able to use the same codecs than Windows Media
> Player, on windows, so installing the corresponding codec should help

Just to clarify this last statement. On Windows, VLC is able to make use of
DMO codec filters but not DirectShow codec filters (DirectShow filters are
more complicated to support). Unfortunately most codecs out there are
DirectShow filters, a notable exception being the Microsoft Windows Media
codecs which are available as DMOs. That means VLC will be able to decode
WMV/WMA with the M$ DMOs but that's about all it can use when it comes to
external codecs.

--
Gildas