[vlc] Re: Problems installing VLC 0.7 on linux

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 19 12:33:47 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:31, Anders Bøje Larsen wrote:
> I've downloaded the two RPM's from videolan.org, uncompressed them, and
> when running rpm -U vlc/* --force, it say's:

Installing rpms with rpm --force is a good way to make your system
useless. This basically tells rpm to ignore almost all problems.
I'd recommend you try
rpm -Uvh vlc/*
first. v and h give some more information on what rpm is doing.

> error : Failed dependencies
>   mozilla = 35:1.2.1 is needed by (installed) galeon-1.2.7-3

You have a software called galeon that needs mozilla in version 1.2.1. If you
don't use galeon, it's safe to uninstall it with
rpm -e galeon

Bye,
Torsten