[vlc] Improving Mac OS X Intel MPEG-2 Performance

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 15 09:35:04 CEST 2006

I'm curious if there's any way to improve Intel builds' VLC
performance. I have some MPEG-2 clips on a particular system where
it's just marginally too slow... the playback isn't really dropping a
lot of frames, but it drops just enough to give the motion a little
lack of fluidity.

I'm already using OpenGL video output. There used to be some way to
force ffmpeg or libmpeg2 to be the decoder. On PPC, libmpeg2 was the
clear winner, but I'm wondering if perhaps on x86, ffmpeg might have
some performance advantages?

I've also wondered about doing a custom build, possibly tweaking a
few things for this system. A further thought has been to use the
intel compiler, but I'm not sure the complexity of such an
undertaking. Though some of the performance increases I've seen can
be quite nice.

Any thoughts?

-Galen