[vlc] unicows.dll

jrrelay at juno.com jrrelay at juno.com
Thu Jul 5 06:43:18 CEST 2007

i downloaded a copy of the 'vlc media player' during the period from 25
june 2007 to 02 july 2007.  i installed it on my windows xp system and
was able to play a dvd with only a small amount of adjustments.  i thank
you for a very nice program.  i did not then know about a need for the
"unicows.dll" .

i took the same copy of vlc which i had downloaded to a windows98se
system expecting the same results but i met with disappointment because
of the lack of "unicows.dll".  that was my first introduction to unicows.

i looked around on the web pages i had used to start the download and
finally discovered a small, obscure note about unicows along with a link
for downloading an installer  from micro$oft. i  do not remember its
original name, but it ended up as  'unicows.exe'  on my win98 system.

when i ran "unicows.exe" , i was puzzled when it asked where i wanted to
place the files.  t he installer suggested "c:\windows\temp".  i had to
return to the web page to learn videolan thinks the unicows belong in
"c:\windows\system".  my guess,  based only on similarity of date and of
name,  is  two files, 'unicows.dll' and 'unicows.pdb', were added.    my
initial thought was that the process is NOT at all 'user friendly'  !  i
asked myself what changes might help?

1.  change the web-page to cause one to answer a question whether unicows
is available when needed and giving a link if the answer be 'no' and
allowing download if the answer be 'yes'.

2. providing a warning in the loader,

or
3.   (just a guess)  include unicows among the applications  own files.

 i searched the forum today and found around 60 complaints about the lack
of unicows

i do have on my winxp system drive c:,  three copies of unicows with one
in ms frameworks located under the windows directory, one in java and
one in openoffice. the latter two are in the 'program files' directory.

i can only guess vlc can find the copy with ms frameworks and that both
java and openoffice put a copy in their own files so they do not have to
depend upon anyone else.

i have been dozing while attempting to compose this.  i just hope you can
understand what i mean even if what i have said is not clear.

jrrelay at juno.com