[vlc] [RFC] closing the vlc user mailing list.

Diane Trefethen dt-vlc at wakerobinranch.com
Tue Feb 7 22:35:33 CET 2012

1) To me, the biggest advantage of a mail list over a forum is that with a mail
list, you don't have to go to a website and log on to express your opinion.

2) One doesn't have to log on to a mail list to find out what is happening
vis-a-vis all the issues on that list. The issues are delivered straight to your
email box. A perfect example is this thread. It would have been weeks before I
knew about this tempest in a teapot if it were on a forum, since I never go to
the forums :)

3) If VLC's mail lists are on a different server from that of their forums, that
also means that if a DOS attack shuts down their primary servers, the mail lists
may well not be affected.

4) The main mail list page is pretty clear about the limitations of the lists
like they are PUBLIC and your posts are available to the hoi polloi, FOREVER.

5) If you don't like this mail list, no one is forcing you to use it. But why
would you try to stop OTHERS from using it because YOU don't like it?

This isn't rocket science, folks.