[x264-devel] Re: Speed-up method

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sat Mar 3 11:10:11 CET 2007

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> x264 spends the vast majority of its time doing integer computations,
> not floats.
>
> Last time I looked at it, integer performance on GPU isn't that great
> compared to its float performance.
> I'd like to point out that communications between CPU and GPU are
> expensive, and that there's no shared memory between them.

PCI-E has a very big bandwidth, even for GPU->CPU transport (maximum
with my 7800 is ~1150 MB/s).

> All in all, I think it's pretty damn hard to get great speed-ups on
> integer code with current generations of GPUs.

It would be theoretically possible to extend x264 to run completely on
the GPU, after all, cuda is nothing more than an 'extension' to C. Also,
one of the advantages of cuda is the threading, you get that for free
basically.

I'm sure the next generation (G90?) will have a much better integer
performance. x264-cuda would be a nice project :)

tom