[x264-devel] Block DCT query

Ajit Deshpande ajitsdeshpande at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 06:29:06 CET 2009

Hello,
   I am doing some basic Matlab simulations on DCT used in Video
Compression. I have following questions arised out of that:

1.) In a 16x16 MB , if one does a 8x8 size block DCT (4-times) for that MB
in first case and a one shot 16x16 size block DCT in second case, Will the
reconstructed block at the decoder will have same/similar values in both
cases?

2.) Which case would there be any benefit in terms of lesser residue, lesser
bits needed for coding etc?

3.)  Will this analysis of block DCT also hold true for other transform like
the integer transform used in H.264 codec?

Regards
-Ajit

Douglas Adams  - "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as
they fly by."