[x264-devel] Theora Ahead of H.264 In Objective PSNR Quality

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:25:10 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Jason Martens <cacepi at gmail.com> wrote:
> From Slashdot:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/07/2352203
>
> Let the debunking begin!

Apparently they seem to have used catastrophically bad settings for
encoding.  I'm going to guess they just encoded idiotically with
ffmpeg without using any presets, thus using ffmpeg's quite broken
defaults.  I suspect this is entirely intentional.

It isn't worth spending time "debunking" though; anyone dumb enough to
actually believe such a thing deserves the godawful quality Theora
will give them.  And when they get that godawful quality, if they are
still dumb enough to not realize they've been scammed by Xiph, they
deserve every last bit of suffering they will experience.

Dark Shikari