[x264-devel] Generating H264 for iPad?

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 23 14:53:47 CET 2012

Hi Hadmut,

> The manpage of ffmpeg does not even contain the word baseline, and the
> manpage for qt-faststart says it's used for Quicktime files in .mov
> format, not h264 in .avi.

You're playing AVI on the iPad? Maybe that's the root cause for your problems. Since Apple’s AVFoundation does not support AVI on iOS, I assume you use a third-party player app? This player may not use the hardware accelerated decoding then. (Which may be hard to do, since the acceleration is probably not exposed with an API, but only accessible through AVFoundation.)

My advice is to use HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to create M4V files with H.264+AAC in them. HandBrake also comes with convenient encoding profiles for the Apple devices.

Michael