[Android] Control the contrast with a gesture on the left side of the screen

Alexandre Perraud 4leyx4ndre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 21:50:12 CEST 2012

2012/8/17 XilasZ <xilasz at gmail.com>

> +    //Contrast
>> +    private float mBrightnessValue = 0;
>>

> why an instance variable when it's used only inside onCreate ?

It's ugly, you right.

>> +        // Initialize the layoutParams screen brightness
>> +        try {
>> +            int brightnesstemp =
>> android.provider.Settings.System.getInt(getContentResolver(),
>> +                    android.provider.Settings.System.SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS);
>> +            mBrightnessValue = brightnesstemp / 255.0f;
>> +        } catch (SettingNotFoundException e) {
>> +            // TODO Auto-generated catch block
>> +            e.printStackTrace();
>> +        }
>> +        WindowManager.LayoutParams lp = getWindow().getAttributes();
>> +        lp.screenBrightness = mBrightnessValue;
>> +        getWindow().setAttributes(lp);
>>

> Why is it needed ? it works without this for me.

SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS is set by default to -1, that means that the screen
brightness to use is the OS one. If you don't set the "real value" to
SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS, the first "touch contrast" you do make a title jump ( -1
to 0,01) and make the screen dark. After that, the variation goes normaly.

> Also this doesn't take SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS_MODE into account. When set to
> automatic, the brightness value retrieved with SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS is not the
> real value set automatically by the OS. So when the activity starts, the
> brightness will be changed in onCreate. it would be ok if it was the right
> value, but i don't know how to get it.

Hum... You probably right, it works fine on my Defy whith a good contrast
variation, but not on a Galaxy Nexus, for exemple...i'm gonna
investitgate...

>  +        // Adjust contrast
>> +        if (jump > 0 || jump <= 1) lp.screenBrightness = jump;
>> +        else if (jump > 1) lp.screenBrightness = 1;
>> +        else if (jump <= 0) lp.screenBrightness = 0.01f;
>>

> The first test is wrong, it's always true :p

True... yes... hum... :p

In fact... there is many other bugs, i'm gonna see this on monday.

Bon Week-end à tous !