[Android] Welcome to Android VLC project mailing list

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Feb 29 19:37:23 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:31:48PM -0500, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> > As already said, quite a few time, I plan to provide the VLC apk for
> > free on the website videolan.org, but also to sell it on the market,
> > for a symbolic amount to sponsor the development.
>
> What kind of milestone do you want to achieve before starting
> distribution on both sides?

I think we need:
 - some stabilisation, especially on the audio part
 - audio track selection for multi-track audio files (should be
   über-easy, since the jni wrapper is here)
 - subtitles, either blended on the CPU or directly in the Android
   layers. It would need some vout modification for the later part.

> Does VideoLAN already has an Android Market accunt?

Yes.

> What about other markets? (I've heard Amazon has one)

Why not.

> > Money would go to the developers for bounties, for wages and to buy a
> > LOT of devices for development.
>
> I'd think devices for development are needed right now, not after VLC
> works good enough to be on the market.

Yes, but we are limited on that part.

> Also I think one or two device per developer is plenty enough, I don't
> know what I would do with a LOT of devices.

Testing OMX needs almost every GPU on the market...

> > Once a definite amount of money is achieved,
>
> How much?

Depends, a few hundred thousands, if we want to employ people.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734