[Android] VLC for Android v0.0.1 release - user feedback

Edward Wang edward.c.wang at compdigitec.com
Wed Jul 4 04:53:57 CEST 2012

Hello,

It seems that the VLC for Android v0.0.1 beta release has been going
great. I've taken the liberty of summarizing some of the top complaints
of VLC for Android for this release, and associated tickets for feature
requests. I hope this summary/post is going to be useful :)

Top complaints/problems as experienced by *end users*:

-Lag/freezes/crashes on 720p and 1080p (and beyond) - various devices -
very endemic, I think it's a good idea to fix for release
-Audio/video de-synchronisation issues - quite common
-"Doesn't play even mp4 videos."
-Crashes/freezes when hardware acceleration turned on
-480p and under seems to work great for the most part
-Crashes! Crashes! Crashes! (I think we are making good progress on these)

===========================
AMBIGUOUS FEATURE REQUESTS

Doesn't play WMV (does it?)

Could also do with an option to change from software to hardware
decoding _during_ playback. (I'm not sure if this can be done)

Widget video player (do we need this?)

============================
FEATURE REQUESTS (if you want to work on these, PLEASE assign yourself
the ticket so we don't have wasted effort):

  * http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7064 - Player doesn't allow fast
    forwarding or rewinding when playing files
  * https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7065 - Could do with full
    screen playback on ICS for those of us who have on screen playback.
  * http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7066 - Would give it a 5 if it
    gets move to SD card!
  * https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7067 - uPnP support [ it can't
    seem to find my nas to play files off it ]
  * https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7068 - lack of subtitles
    options to adjust the fonts is a real drawback
  * http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7069 - Would like to be able to
    pick up media from SMB servers.
  * http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7070 - Needs a graphic equalizer
    with Pre-amp, spatializer, compressor
  * http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/6970 - integration whith
    musicbrainsz, google music, et al to pick up music artist and cover
  * https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7071 - Play video in
    background(music videos) [like the Audio player]
  * https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7072 - Option to edit tags [of
    media files]..

Thanks,
         Edward Wang