[Android] Playlists, Youtube

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Thu Mar 1 02:24:20 CET 2012

Hi,

Playing back youtube videos and playlists (m3u, asx, ..) from VLC would
be nice.

As far as VLC is concerned, Youtube items are playlists: the
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx url is parsed by LUA and a subitem is
added to the item, then VLC advances to this item.

So to support them we need to use libvlc_media_list_t and
libvlc_media_list_player_t, libvlc_media_list_play and friends.

LUA builds and works out of the box, the only part which needs change is
packaging to ship the lua files, and config_DataDir and alikes to point
to the directory holding them.
And maybe a folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/vlc?) to hold user scripts.

RaaA (Rockbox as an Application, which runs on android among others)
uses data files and can be used as example for those.

To use libvlc_media_list, I need help from the java guys because a lot
of the code is single media centric and needs adaptation.

e.g. what is the length of a playlist holding 2 urls? 1000 urls?
Do we just ignore length for playlists holding more than one item?
Do we parse all medias in the list?

Or is it more straightforward than I think ? (I didn't read much the
java code because I thought I could use your advice).