[Android] TODO

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Mar 29 16:01:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

I was asked several times, what was missing to do for android.
I made a small list of those.

UI Movie:
 - difficult to understand the arrows, because it is not separated from
   the main button. Maybe a split would be useful. Or another icon
 - Preview has a weird translucent bar, that is not useful.
 - Preview does not let one play the movie? WTF?
 - The codecs are displayed, but not the language for audio, right?
 - I like the egg, but users don't understand it. CF all forum posts.
 - Should we invert the lock and the fullscreen button?
 - Text on the top bar should be on the same line, IMVHO
 - The red color is very weird since the rest of the UI is orange.
 - ICS in fullscreen still shows the status bar (see Controls for system
   UI visibility in http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.html#api )
   SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LOW_PROFILE probably should be used.

UI Audio:
 - When selecting the Artist tag, it does not list the albums (nor a
   "All album")
 - Same for the genre
 - It shows (xxx songs), under the name in Artist, but not xx albums
 - The main icon when there is no album art is aliased. Is it only my phone?

UI Main:
 - Should the scanning small bar be on the top or the bottom? Now, it
   feels weird because it moves the items down.
 - The About section is light...
 - Sort by and Refresh should be on the same line, prefs/About in the
   other one.

UI Preferences:
 - Root and Directories are still very weird to manage. No clue what to
   do.

Missing functionnalities:
 - Subtitles track selection in fullscreen
 - Subtitles blending in the GPU
 - Network URL opening

Bugs:
 - audio crashes (seems fixed by the AudioTrack module)
 - overlay behind the video sometimes...

Packaging:
 - Prepare a Beta package.

Best regards,