[Android] A word on release and audio

Ludovic Fauvet etix at videolan.org
Fri Feb 15 16:35:33 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:
> Le 15/02/2013 13:44, Ludovic Fauvet a écrit :
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:
>
>> Sounds good but with or without the buffer length to 10 ms?
>> In theory, could it break something to move from 4 to 10 ms?
>
> No it shouldn't break things and I can push that change soon even if all
> the implications are not understood yet, it does make 44.1kHz audio fit
> nicely into evenly rounded buffers.
>
>> You should have the TBBT sample already, isn't it?
>
> Yes I have that one, that's the one which shows immediate lipsync issue
> with my HP Touchpad.
>
>>> IMO, using the exact same file sample is key to "controlled environment"
>>> and I expected you had the same interpretation than me on this one.
>>
>> That would work if it affects all hardware, which is clearly not the case here.
>
> I agree, although having the same file removes one difference between
> our setups so it is still somehow useful.
>
>>> - After complaining that I needed more samples I was promised other ones.
>>> I'm still waiting for them today despite claims that "it's broken for a
>>> lot of files".
>>
>> I've never told you that "it's broken for a lot of files" and I have
>> no evidence of that.
>
> You're right, here I was complaining specifically about j-b.
>
>>> - The issue that I was described is not the one that I could finally
>>> reproduce with the help of etix at FOSDEM (sync appearing only at the
>>> end of movie versus appearing immediately at the start).
>>> If we don't have the same symptoms I can not be sure we are experiencing
>>> the same bug.
>>> Now they *could* be the same bug but before I confirm it.
>>
>> The only bug I'm aware of, appears after a long time > 15 minutes of playback.
>
> OK.
>
> We might have a second bug, because Martin gave me a sample which shows
> immediate lipsync issue (with OMX enabled).

That's clearly not the same issue then.

>>> Maybe it is my fault for not asking precisely what I wanted to be tested
>>> (like different sampling rates on the same device, same video codec,
>>> same container).
>>
>> Every time you asked me to test something, I did it. And If you want
>> me to try other samples I will.
>
>>> - expliciting the devices tested. I don't remember the exact model or
>>> android version running on your devices (I think now you give me this
>>> info but I complained about it when you first reported it though).
>>
>> I will. Open the ticket, I will put all informations I find useful on it.
>> Just note that since I'm going to the US for a week I won't be able to
>> work on this issue during that time but I'll do as much as possible
>> before I leave.
>
> Here it is my fault for complaining and not doing that right away.
>
> I will try to do that next week so we have a more solid base for when
> you are back.

Okay.

>>> I hope this will clear any misunderstanding and remove any feeling that
>>> I'm responsible for the lack of interest in the android work (I do not
>>> see this lack of interest myself anyway).
>>
>> I was a bit upset yesterday so please accept my apologies, I didn't
>> want to be disrespectful with you.
>> That being said, I see absolutely no reason to hold a release because
>> of the introduction of a new audio output since we're still in beta
>> and people are fully aware of that.
>
> Apologies duly accepted.
>
> I don't think I tried to block the release although I understand it
> could have been implied by disagreeing with jb on making audiotrack java
> the default aout.

If fact you blocked it because we care about your opinion (like any
other active developer actually). You told us to wait, we did. That's
as simple as that.

> When jb told me you where about to do a release, without specifying what
> he would do about aout, I quietly waited to see what he would do about that.
>
> You did the market work so far so I'm fine with leaving that to you
> (unless you ask for my help) even if we disagree.

We are managing the market stuff because we did the job in the first
place that's all. If you want to gain access to the Play Store
administration panel you're welcome.

Kind regards,

--
Ludovic Fauvet