[Android] Android Meeting - February 1st 2014

Edward Wang edward.c.wang at compdigitec.com
Sat Feb 1 12:51:21 CET 2014

Android Meeting - February 1st 2014

Design
 * Changed the search activity for a fragment upcoming
   * Change history title
 * Icons missing -> needs to be merged next week
 * Commit the SVG to the git and put them in non-standard like res/drawables-svg. Else, we  can put them in svgs/
 * Network streams -> Release afterward
   * Move it to a side panel with upnp/service discovery
   * Do it like we do it on iOS in a main fragment
   * Keep an history of played streams as a playlist?
 * Bug that the mini-player should slide up easily.
 * Equalizer
   * Need a method to reset to default
   * Can't scroll horizontally on the controls, needs to be done on the bottom
   * User can't guess the numbers of controls because the slider is not appearing
   * Sliding on  the top of the equalizer
 * Ask Xilasz for the black design

Trolling about design
 - Pause/Stop
 * Long click at the bottom should stop
 * We need to make it discoverable (overlay during first run? shifted small stop icon?)
 * Long click is not implemented on the mini-player
 - Songs selections
 * Winamp does it
 * Current behavior to stay

History
 * Should be kept between sessions and reloaded at start
 * Need privacy switch on the same page

Hardware decoding
 * 4 options in the preferences: Automatic, Disabled, Decoding Acceleration, Full Acceleration
   * This is good
 * Subtitles supported using blending in an overlayed Android surface.
   * Upste the subtitlesninly when the subtitle text actually change, not all the time.
 * Known bugs/issues currently:
   * Loss of lipsync on some pathological videos (e.g. 1080p HFR).
     * Probably a bug regarding decoder/vout cooperation or it might be related to the core.
   * VideoPlayer activity not starting thus the vout is deadlocked waiting for the Android Surface.
     * For HTTP/other streams, event should be sent after the videoplayeractivity has successfully initialized the Surface.
   * We should check profile for Hi10p detection in the VLC core
   * No graceful fallback if MediaCodec realizes it cannot support the format after decoding started
     * Ask the User to play as software
   * Subtitles: don't update the subtitles when we don't need (see subtitle issue above)
     * Repeated subpictures
     * Patch from Martin, will be cleaned by Felix
 * Activate
   * 4.3 / 4.4 is automatic
   * 4.2 will be whitelisted one by one
   * 4.1 should only be h264 accelerated
   * 4.0 iomx only / stagefright
   * 2.3< software decoding
   * Check the Xoom for 1080p

--no-drop-late-frames
Should be enabled again for older devices (< 2.x).
For slow devices, all frames will be late thus if we don't enable this option we won't have any frame displayed at all.

USA
 * DTS will not be a problem
 * Dolby will be a problem
 * disable dolby decoder in libav for American markets ("optimizes VLC in the USA")
   * Core hacking
   * liba52_plugin.so downloaded to cache
   * org.videolan.org for General org.videolan.vlc.usa

SD integration
 -Upnp SD - libupnp is OK, we need the browsing code to work
 - Samba Apple library port to contribs

ARMv6
 - RGB16 to do with iVoire?

ARMv5
- any demand for builds? (do such devices exist at all? examples please!)