[Android] Feedback from the designer

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Feb 3 15:18:03 CET 2014

===

Playing around with the nightly Version I found the following things
(grouped into "Bugs", "Design" and "Usability"):

*Bugs*

   - In the songs views I can't hit the little triangle as the slider on
   the right always get activated when I tap in that area. Can the slider only
   be activated when the list is actually being scrolled?
   - Touch Area for the little triangle in the corner is quite small. So
   when I already made a nice playlist and I accidently hit the title it
   starts playing and resets the playlist.
   - How about just adding the title to the playlist and flash a little
   toast message "added to playlist" instead of creating a new empty playlist?
   - Google seems to have changed the use of the little triangle. I
   couldn't find a list where it was positioned at the right - it now seems to
   always be connected with a picture. The alternative and better to hit
   option seems to be the three little dots.
   - Playlist View: The Album does not show in the upper part. It shows
   when I swipe left or right over that part to change the title but
   dissapears as soon as the song starts playing.
   - Add to playlist does not seem to work when using long touch menu.
   - Tapping the Coverart/Playlist switch-button in the Playlist-view
   sometimes minimizes the playlist and does not show the Cover.
   - Video Section - seems fine to me. Just like with the triangle in the
   music selection the touch area seems quite small.
   - Back button in the upper left - can be pressed when the Playlist is
   open but no action can be seen as the playlist is open. How about auto
   minimizing the playlist so the user can see an action? Or opening the
   playlist over the Actionbar, this way only that list is shown and not the
   actionbar?
   - Artist view: When I click an Artist and I get the view where I can
   choose between Albums and Songs - and I can switch between them. Can the
   orange part move smoother? See Google Apps - the Play Music App to see what
   I mean. Also that part seems stuck when I select a genre from the Genre
   View or an Artist from the Artist view. It sometimes first shows albums but
   the orange indicator sits at songs (seems to occur when I viewed another
   Artist/Genre first and swiped over from albums to the songs. Leave that
   Genre/Artist and open up another one.)
   - Also when I am in the Album/Songs view and I turn the screen off and
   on again I can't navigate back to the Genre selection via the back arrow at
   the top left. Instead the menu on the left opens up.

*Design*

   - Slight shadow behind the mini Player to distinguish it from the
   playlist and the other lists.
   - Movement of the cover in Cover view is too fast. Making it a little
   slower would be nice. Maybe put a zoom on it. Or zoom it to fit in the view
   without movement (like in the Google app). If you choose to add movement
   maybe the one I added in the barcoo
app<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.barcoo.android&feature=nav_result&hl=fr>is
good. You can see it after you scanned a product in the top area
   background.
   - End of List-Shadow (e.g. when scrolling in the artist view) seems cut
   off left and right instead of reaching to both ends of the screen.
   - Shadows in the Playlist - so the List part seems better distinguished
   from the rest?
   - You have alphbetic A-B-C-headers everywhere (i.e. artist, album,
   genre) but in the song selection, maybe add it there too?
   - How about the menu-stlye? Do you still plan to use the new style? I.e.
   displaying it over the content? If you keep it like it is now - how about
   adding a softer but little wider shadow?
   - Not sure if you plan on adding the Google card optic? If so I think it
   would work good with the Videos and the Equalizer.

*Usability*

   - The Equalizer can only be scrolled when I swipe over the description
   part (i.e. "125 Hz") and below. As there is no indicator it's a little
   irritating and trying to scroll in the upper area can accidently change the
   value of the sliders.
   - When I select an Album in the Album tab is it supposed to immediately
   start playing that Album? Would it be better to first show the songs in
   that Album, so one could select one? Or how about showing the long touch
   menu instead?
   - Swipe up for playlist: When I touch the mini Player the Time and
   Pause-button disappear. Not sure if this is wanted but how about displaying
   some kind of text here? "Swipe up for playlist"?
   - Indicator which song is playing - when scrolling through the list a
   little animation could be highlighting the song that's playing right now.
   Not that important though.
   - When using the search function - tapping a song should display some
   options instead of playing the song straight away and clearing the playlist?
   - Controlls when in the lockscreen. Using Google Music one can long
   touch the title area in the lockscreen and get the time slider controll.
   Not trying to copy them but maybe a nice to have feature? But not that
   important
   - Do you plan to move the stream option to the menu instead of showing
   it in the actionbar?
   - How about making the playlist accessible in the menu? And have the
   last one saved? Do you plan on letting the user save lists?

Well, I know you are still working on it, so some of the points might
already be on the to-do-list but as you said to report bugs now I thought
I'd go for it and mention everything I've noticed so far. ;-) If some of my
points do not seem to be clear, let me know and I'll send you some
screenshots showing what I mean.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734