[Android] Malte feedback and Android tablet

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Feb 14 11:34:33 CET 2014

---

I'm really looking forward to see the release/bugfix mode. So far I've
noticed two minor things:

   - When there is only one song in the playlist or the first or last song
   in the playlist is playing the next/last button is not there. I guess that
   is wanted - but instead of removing it how about greying it out so the
   space does not look oddly empty?
   - And I was wondering if the transitions can be smoother - i.e. when I
   swipe over the mini-player and let go the next song just jumps to the new
   position. The Google Music App let's it smoothly glide to the new position.
   Might help the user to better see and understand what is happening.

I've put the mockups in the following drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5V3d0_L9ZuHT3hjYWplanhTOTg&usp=sharing

In there you can find some more mockups as described below and answering
the question about the position of the overlay window: I kind of like the
overlay window but you're right it does not make sense if it's above the
other media directories. So I thought about the "Home" Views and think it
would be nice to have the menu on the left always open to quickly navigate
between the different options. So on the left would be the menu, in the
center the files from "folders", "videos", etc. depending on the selected
menu option and on the right the player. This way one could kind of preview
for example a video file in the mini-player and then switch to full screen

 Landscape Video Home
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHTC1qYkhpbkx2RUE/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
If the Audio is selected the playlist opens in the center and a sub menu
with the choices opens - artist, album, song, genre:
​
 Landscape Audio Home
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHQV9sUXZzeHpzYkk/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
If one of those is selected in the menu the overlay window opens, there you
also can switch between artist, album, song and genre. The artist view
offers on the left an a-z scroll field and on the right one can see the
selected artist's albums and songs:
​
 Landscape Audio Artist
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHVU43TG1DckdyQlk/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
Next comes the Album view, the user can scroll through the albums and see
the songs on the right (not sure about the best way of displaying the
albums yet - how about using the apple coverflow or are there going to be
copyright issues?):
​
 Landscape Audio Album
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHLURydG8xVEwwbVE/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
The next one is the song view. How about making a list for each letter this
way you can scroll left-right for a-z and up-down for each letter?
​
 Landscape Audio Songs
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHZm1ic2JTVVJ6dE0/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
And finally the view for genre gives mostly the same view as the artist
​
 Landscape Audio Genre
#1.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHTjljYXc2Y2VqRUk/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
I think these layouts might give a nice overview over each area and are
basically the same views (excluding albums) as in the smartphone view - but
already next to each other (artist -> artist's songs and albums). If you
got some feedback let me know. ;-) Not sure about the portrait views yet,
maybe let's first find something that works for landscape and then
reiterate for portrait view: So far I think I will be closer to the
smartphone layout. Maybe making the player on the bottom even bigger and an
optional playlist on the right, something close to this previous done
mockup:
​
 Portrait Audio
#1.png<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5V3d0_L9ZuHZFpNZ2g0cjNVdXM/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
As I like the option to drag and drop something in the playlist I think
adding a button on the overlay on the right maybe to drag and drop songs
into would be nice in the landscape view.

That's it so far - the other mockups are also in the drive folder. Also I
got two crash logs from the app - not sure if you need them - if you do
they are in this
folder<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5V3d0_L9ZuHcVVSYnV2Tzlab0U&usp=sharing>
.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf