[Android] --no-drop-late-frames

Felix Abecassis felix.abecassis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 11:14:13 CET 2014

Hi,

Why is the argument "--no-drop-late-frames" always used for Android?
In jni.c:
 const char *argv[] = {
     "-I", "dummy",
     "--no-osd",
     "--no-video-title-show",
     "--no-stats",
     "--no-plugins-cache",
     "--no-drop-late-frames",

On one 50 FPS video, the decoder/vout pair cannot handle pictures fast
enough thus the pictures are displayed late, video playback is
slightly too slow. Since all pictures must be displayed, the
difference between the picture's date and the current time is growing
fast and soon we are displaying pictures one second late. We quickly
lose lipsync because of this.
By disabling this option many pictures are dropped but audio/video
synchronization is kept with only a few visual glitches (since it's a
50 FPS video).

--
Félix Abecassis
http://felix.abecassis.me