[Android] Bug #10691 Proposed solution

Felix Abecassis felix.abecassis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:52:32 CEST 2014

> Hi,
>
> Here is a solution for bug #10691 titled "Use different icon for nightly
> builds of VLC for Android".
> Link: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/10691
>
> 1. Maintain two copies of icon assets, orange and blue.
> 2. Have a flag NIGHTLY just like RELEASE, to be set to 1 if it is a nightly
> build.
> 3. In the Makefile, read NIGHTLY flag and if set, copy the blue icon assets
> into the drawable folders before building the apk.
>
> Is this solution alright?

I think the RELEASE flag is set when using ./compile.sh release, with
your solution we would need to add a new command line argument to
compile.sh, no? Or we would need to set the env variable manually in
our shell.
Maybe VLC-debug.apk should have the blue icon, and VLC-release-*.apk
should have the orange icon, but I'm not sure that's simple (or
possible).

> Regards,
> Rocky Backer

Félix Abecassis