[Android] Bug #10691 Proposed solution

Felix Abecassis felix.abecassis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 21:31:50 CEST 2014

> On Thursday 17 July 2014 09:41 PM, Felix Abecassis wrote:

>>> Or whether we even need this at all - I mean VLC nightly builds on
>>> Windows don't have a custom icon either and users seem to be getting
>>> along fine.
>>>
>>> You can tell if a nightly build is being used by looking at the
>>> version - it will have a "-git" postfixed to it.
>>>
>> Sure, but when you have the store version and a custom build installed
>> on your device, it's hard to tell which is which: you have two
>> applications with the same name and the same icon. With a different
>> icon you would be able to tell at a glance. But yes, it's a minor
>> feature.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Edward
>>

> True, this is a minor issue. I only want to do it to familiarize myself with
> the vlc code
> base and the community processes. And since this is a mobile version, it
> would remove
> a minor annoyance.
>
> Regarding compile.sh, this would be similar to the release parameter. An
> additional
> optional parameter called "nightly" could be passed to compile.sh for the
> nightly
> builds. This would set the NIGHTLY flag and the Makefile could have the
> necessary
> commands to move the assets. The extra parameter being optional could be
> safely
> ignored by everyone except for the build system which produces the nightly
> builds.

I would also like to have this behavior when compiling on my machine,
so I would find it weird to call the parameter "nightly".
Maybe we could invert the logic: by default we have the blue icon and
we create a "store" parameter (for store releases) which works as
"release" but also changes the icon?

> --
> Regards,
> Rocky Backer