[Android] New StatusBar design for Video Player

Thomas Guillem thomas.guillem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:24:21 CEST 2014

Hey,

I would like to add back the StatusBar on Video Player Activity,
mostly because it's very convenient to read notifications while
watching a (boring) video.

We can do it after Android 4.2 (API17) since it adds Fullscreen
support, and gives the possibility to
show/hide the StatusBar without any resize of the View.
On Android 4.4 (API19), you can even have a translucent Status Bar.

I did some patches (I proposed yesterday, and some not proposed for
4.4) that add back the StatusBar starting android 4.2 (and don't break
the current behavior for Android 4.1 and less).

I'm not sure about the design on Android 4.2 and 4.3 (see png
attached). Indeed the status bar is opaque and hide a small part of
the video (only when showing).

So, I need your opinion. Do you agree with the new design on 4.2/4.3 and 4.4 ?

Best regards,
Thomas Guillem.