[Android] LibVLC android commit 7733732: no vout on mpeg4/m2ts

ben brouits at free.fr
Mon Mar 16 17:32:10 CET 2015

Le 04/03/2015 17:45, ben a écrit :

> After new tests, freshly cloned git repo, and a simple Activity that
> reads a local video from its assets, i still get the same issue and a
> blank screen. The relevant logs are:
>
> D/VLC﹕ [64227c04] core window: looking for vout window module matching
> "any": 1 candidates
> D/VLC﹕ [64227c04] core window: no vout window modules matched
> D/VLC﹕ [62b1dc04] core video output: Opening vout display wrapper
> D/VLC﹕ [62baf2f4] core vout display: looking for vout display module
> matching "androidsurface": 4 candidates
> E/VLC﹕ [62baf2f4] android_surface vout display: Could not initialize
> libandroid.so/libui.so/libgui.so/libsurfaceflinger_client.so!
> D/VLC﹕ [62baf2f4] core vout display: no vout display modules matched
> E/VLC﹕ [62b1dc04] core video output: video output creation failed
> D/VLC﹕ [62b8c09c] core spu text: removing module "freetype"
> D/VLC﹕ [62b9dcfc] core scale: removing module "yuvp"
> D/VLC﹕ [62b997b4] core scale: removing module "swscale"
> E/VLC﹕ [62b25eb4] core decoder: failed to create video output
> W/VLC﹕ [62b25eb4] mediacodec decoder: NewPicture failed
> I/EVENT﹕ MediaPlayerVout
>
> I confess i have no further idea to try to fix that, but i will re-read
> again the VidePlayerActivity of VLC to understad why my simple Activity
> fails displaying the video.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
> - Ben

Looking in jni code, I could find in libvlc/jni/vout.c that a private
field mSurface is checked in the host java class. Does this lead LibVLC
to not work properly if the hosting activity has no mSurface field ? If
so, this is a bad idea...

Anyway, to keep as possible the correct behaviour, I stripped-down VLC's
VideoPlayerActivity, removing specific playlist logic, using playMRL()
instead of Media* classes, and just keeping the subtitle and video
surfaces stuff (and mSurface) and implementing IVideoPlayer. I
transformed it to an autonomous activity (with video as asset) and the
issue appears too: only sounds is produced, and halas, got same log:

> D/VLC﹕ [64227c04] core window: no vout window modules matched

Appart from the mSurface field, what am i missing now ?

Thanks again for your support.
- Ben