[Android] Has my input been received?

juliank at i2pmail.org juliank at i2pmail.org
Fri Jul 31 09:13:01 CEST 2020

Hello Dear Team, on 22 July 2020 I supplied a few proposals and questions to the community via the mailing list. I am using the mailing list because the videoLAN website requires interaction with third parties to function, which is not acceptable to me.

I'm asking sincerely whether my submissions are being received? The mailing list appears to only be a place where commits are documented and nothing more. If so, I argue this is not taking full use of the versatile medium we know as email.

As you can see from my subsequent days of inaction I don't intend to stick around for long but the hope is that I can help make the improvements to the software that are deemed important and thus move on.

The most important of the improvements in my estimation is the inclusion of the ReplayGain feature. One of the fundamental and important benefits of technology, is the ability for it to automate menial tasks, walking to your device to increase or decrease the volume is a poor use of technology, the implications are far reaching, it means that a person playing music cannot fully set and forget and must be always close of the dial or risk wild, often embarrassing extremes in volume. Replay Gain has been a thing for many years and it is important that it is included. Please add this paragraph, and the below comment (repeated for your convenience) to this page:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-android/-/issues/1241

>ReplayGain is a very useful feature that ought to be implemented for the Android version. Upon implementation, this feature would be worthy of inclusion on the main feature list, in the same breath as the equalizer.
>
>The above Wikipedia article shared by @rugk says:
"VLC media player, multiplatform. Reads ReplayGain metadata natively"

>Does this mean that VLC **only** reads the ReplayGain metadata produced by VLC? Will it not read ReplayGain data produced by another program from a bygone era, for example, Winamp? If so this is problematic, and it would be desirable for VLC to respond to a user's established library.
>
>Similarly, is there a problem of different "headroom"s between different players (see the above Wikipedia article about "headrooms"). If so, VLC, upon parsing the music files for the first time, might list any files with "opposing (or no) ReplayGain values that may result in uncomfortable changes in volume between tracks". It might ask the user if they would prefer to calculate or re-calculate ReplayGain for such tracks.
>
>Even with the above process, it might still be desirable to calculate the ReplayGain for a (user-defined) selection of tracks. As the replay gain values are calculated an option screen would list each of the processed audio tracks (processing video might be disabled by default) and how to record the meta data to the file. Ie. Save: "Album Gain", "Track Gain", or "Both".
>
>It may be prudent for "Album Gain" to be the default ReplayGain method, unless the user selects "Track Gain" in Settings.

END OF FEEDBACK

There are of course other items and proposals mentioned by me over the past 9 days including filename issues in m3u playlists, which I also deem important. I regret starting on a contentious note with questioning the enabling of JavaScript. I hope that didn't offend.

I really would appreciate knowing whether my input has been noted by the community, and where it is being added at code.videolan.org etc.

Thanks,
Julian K