[Android] Please keep the mailing list functioning.

juliank at i2pmail.org juliank at i2pmail.org
Sun Oct 4 20:11:34 CEST 2020

I'm unable to use GitLab due to their use of proprietary services like Cloudflare and Google.

The mailing list is the only way to keep informed, and to inform, for people who choose to develop anonymously. Anonymous development is gaining traction. Even mainstream media reports highlight the benefit, in reducing prejudice, perceived or not, including subconscious biases.

This mailing list could be a fine discussion platform. It has been somewhat disappointing that of the six improvement proposals put forward by me, I've only received feedback from two after extra effort. Might I suggest stopping commits from being posted to the mailing list? This will clean it up so developers will be more inclined to read them.

I regret having a slightly bitter tone about the mailing list recently. When someone tries to contribute and they are ignored it is sub-optimal.

The mailing list isn't dead. Over the past 3 months 3 people have reached out using it. This means that it is a preferred medium for a non-trivial number of people.

Should all people who want to communicate with the team be forced to use a Gitlab, and thus Google/Cloudflare?

It would be counter-productive to remove the mailing list. In the interest of internet freedom, privacy and truly open development, please use it, while removing git commits to make it more useful.

If anyone is interested to read my improvement proposals please tell me and I'll dig them up for you. They're based on my experience using 3.2.12 on an Android 4.4.

Thanks.