[Android] Question about InApp donations removal

Sharaf Zaman shzam at sdf.org
Thu Jul 28 07:43:03 UTC 2022

Hello!

I’m a developer for an Open-source painting application Krita. Which I ported to
Android and it has been in Open testing for a while now.

Within the Android version, we have a banner and link to purchase a banner using
in-app billing which supports the development. We added a banner (currently
non-consumable) to meet the requirements of Google Play.

I’ve noticed that VLC used to have a donation button for in-app donations, but I
noticed that it has been removed due to the inability to upload the new release
to Google Play?

My question is, was it not possible to upload the APK to google play because of
some policy of how the billing is supposed to be used or because VLC uses a fork
of the version (which maybe they said is outdated)?

Kind Regards,
Sharaf Zaman