[dvblast-devel] PATCH: Avoid jitter in RTP timestamps

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue Sep 29 00:37:29 CEST 2009

Hi Marian,

At 7:37 +0200 17/08/09, Marian ëurkoviã wrote:

>    The attached patch fixes this problem by taking reference wallclock
>samples during output phase. This way RTP timestamp always matches PCR
>contained in transmitted IP packet.

I have taken a long time to review this patch. This is because it
seems fundamentally wrong, when calculating a reference clock, to
increase the jitter of the incoming PCRs. Taking them in the output
adds delay due to scheduling and packetization by the DVB layer.

However the problem you raised is real ; I have thought of ways to
fix it otherwise, but couldn't find a satisfying alternative. It
would probably involve rewriting the PCRs in the packets, which leads
to other problems such as VBV violation.

So, here it goes...

--
Christophe Massiot.