[dvblast-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Test git dvblast migration

Georgi Chorbadzhiyski gf at unixsol.org
Wed Aug 24 10:27:53 CEST 2011

Around 08/23/2011 11:53 PM, Andy Gatward scribbled:
> On 23/08/2011 19:06, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
>> Guys, since I have more work on dvblast coming soon and svn is
>> really getting on my nerves I invested some time today to make
>> proper svn2git migration. Proper in the sense that commit authors
>> are correctly set and commit messages are fixed where imho matters.

> To be honest I hate git, it really gets on my nerves and the versioning

I should have put smiley after "getting on my nerves" comment.

> scheme is not only unfriendly but downright annoying.  If dvblast gets
> moved to git I won't be committing any more as I'm not going to spend
> the time learning a new VC system which I don't use anywhere else.

Pretty much every free software project that deals with multimedia is
using git now. ffmpeg, libav, mplayer, vlc, obe, x264, etc. Also most of
the projects hosted on videolan use git. The exceptions are libdca (old
and unmaintained), libdvbcsa (no new development on that), libdvdcss (same
as libdvbcsa), multicat and finally dvblast.

I really believe dvblast (and multicat for that matter) would benefit
from migrating to more modern VCS as git. The SVN that is currently used
is PITA for drive-by fixes and long term development. Sure, guys like
me can use git-svn but migrating to pure git (as long as someone /me/
does the migration work) will not put additional work in hands of the
current svn commiters. It really is just adding one "git push" command
after you have commited/tested a patch to your routine.

As for your versioning scheme comment, I really have no idea what are
the problems you are seeing. Yes, git is different than svn but that
difference is it's strength. If you want you can use it just like svn.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/