[dvblast-devel] DVR_BUFFER_SIZE issue

Richard Hemzal hemzal at asm.cz
Fri Jan 27 08:38:18 CET 2012

I have tested tu run with -i 1, (using it normaly), no influence on this issue. In oposite I do not remember as far I tested it
without -i, guess will need some further test. Anyway it does not make much senses to estimated buffer as fixed when at it looks can
be changeable. Much better piece of deetction on time how long buffer is.

DVR_BUFFER_SIZE  vs. latency - well there will be some relation with latency, but as my experience from previous experiments more
important is chunk size in drivers, exactly as described in "extra" dir. In fact I play a lot how to traffic control data which are
going from shaper and can say that DVR_BUFFER_SIZE have some relation but not something like that will fix delay packet to packet.
In fact as my investigation it will not change number of packet as as they are sent in one burst. On other hand I did not yet traced
in code if this realy or just my opinion based on wireshark dump.  I guess it should have influence on minimal retention time you
can set.

Does the latency plays for you somewhere? I did also some (lot) tests on various dvb cards and found that in real network more
important for me retention time than latency.

Have to note that than plays with chunk size , latency and retention is to reasonably setup traffic control of output.... much more
universal to limit bursting.