[dvblast-devel] HEVC and Dolby E support

Dan Lita dan.lita at b1tv.ro
Fri Jun 27 11:50:26 CEST 2014

On 6/27/2014 1:00 AM, Christophe Massiot wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2014, at 14:27, Dan Lita<dan.lita at b1tv.ro>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to propose a patch for bitstream and dvblast for supporting hevc and Dolby E streams.
>> hevc (in eutelsat transmissions) identifies as stream type 0x24.
>> Dolby E is identified as streamtype 0x06 and tag 0x05
> Tag 0x05 is not enough to identify Dolby E because 0x05 means "registration descriptor", which means the content of the descriptor (which contains an ID) must be checked. It may contain other codecs.

Indeed SMPTE 302M contains a supplementary format_identifier: 0x42535344.
The stream shall be identified as SMPTE 302M not as Dolby-E as Kieran said.

The same format_identifier detection mechanism should apply to ac3 and
DTS which seems to be supported by
dvblast but I dont know where in the code are they tested as being:
0x44545331 (DTS1) ... 0x44545338 (DTSH) or 0x41432d33 (AC3).

Maybe it  is necessary to have a desc_05 file in bitstream/dvb/si for
SMPTE 302M

As for hevc side the previous stream type 0x24 (content labelling
descriptor) should be changed now to hevc descriptor
and maybe bitstream/mpeg/psi/desc_24.h should be modified accordingly.

Since my programming skills are near zero is anyone willing to do those
changes?

Dan