[dvblast-devel] DVB-S2 modulators

Ibrahim Tachijian barhom at netsat.se
Sun Apr 17 01:44:07 CEST 2016

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a DVB-S2 modulator, either stand alone or one that
works in linux?

I'm trying to achieve the following:

1. Use dvblast to send dvb-s2 channel to udp (done)
2. Save the stream using multicat to file on disk (done)
3. Stream the saved .ts file through a DVB-S2 modulator to be played back
on a DVB-S2 STB decoder.

Basically, I'm looking for IP->DVB-S2 modulator that can take either file
or multicast input. And I would  prefer a device that has several
modulators in one so that I can output 2,3 or 4 DVB-S2 transponders
simultaneously.

This product seems perfect on paper (Except that it is DVB-C and not
DVB-S2):
http://www.dektec.com/products/IP/DTE-3114/

This seems fairly expensive and it only does 1 DVB-S2 output:
http://www.dektec.com/products/PCIe/DTA-2107/

This is completely new, looks cool, even does rack mount but is extremely
expensive and does not run on linux:
http://www.dektec.com/products/USB/DTU-315/

I'm fine with testing no-name chinese branded modulators even if they are
bulky rackmounted units.

Does anyone have any experience with dvb-s2 modulators and can recommend
one?

Thanks,