[libbluray-devel] Request: Add ISO support

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Wed Apr 27 18:30:05 CEST 2011

On 04/27/2011 07:40 AM, Mark wrote:
> Any feedback on this request?
>
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com <mailto:markg85 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I first made this request on mplayer-dev-eng:
>     http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2011-April/068210.html since i was under the impression that
>     they had to make support for it if it would be accepted, but i got told that the library (libbluray) has to add
>     support for it if it gets accepted...
>
>     So hereby the request. Could you guys add support for loading ISO files (blu-ray images)?
>     The error i'm currently getting from mplayer when loading an iso is this:
>     --------------------------------
>     Playing br://.
>     get_path('sub/') -> '/home/mark/.mplayer/sub/'
>     libbluray/bdnav/index_parse.c:157: indx_parse(): error opening filename.iso/BDMV/index.bdmv
>     libbluray/bluray.c:1448: nav_get_title_list(filename.iso) failed (0x1b82120)
>     Can't find any Blu-ray-compatible title here.
>     No stream found to handle url br://
>
>     vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..
>
>     Exiting... (End of file)
>     --------------------------------
>
>     And if support for iso loading gets added then it does make loading blu-ray movies a lot less complex since
>     mounting the iso is not required anymore and also sudo or root permissions are not needed anymore to mount.
>
>     What do you think of it?
>
>     Regards,
>     Mark

Personally, on linux I would much rather see UDF support added to libarchive so that all apps could benefit from it.
This is what is used for doing user fs mounts transparently in nautilus and other apps.  On windows, there are already
free tools available for doing this (e.g. Virtual CloneDrive).  For now, I just use a script to loop mount the iso.

#!/bin/bash
dir=${HOME}/ISO/$(basename "$1" | sed -e 's/\.iso$//')
mkdir -p "${dir}"
sudo mount -o loop "$1" "${dir}"