[libbluray-devel] Request: Add ISO support

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:06:05 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that is interesting. I came here since i requested the same thing on the
> mplayer list. They told me to ask it in the libbluray list since (according
> to them)  it would only be supported that way. They won't add support for
> it.

And neither, apparently, will the libbluray folks.

> So now i'm confused.. Please just explain what has to happen to let:
> mplayer br:// -bluray-device /path/to/filename.iso
> play the iso just like :
> mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/filename.iso
> currently works for dvd's!

John Stebbins suggests that the libarchive add support for the UDF
filesystem, and that applications like mplayer, etc. add support for
libarchive in addition to their support for libbluray.  At that point
you would have support for Blu-ray ISOs.

> Or am i in a "endless loop" meaning mplayer points me to libbluray and
> libbluray points me to mplayer thus we go nowhere whatever hapens in
> libarchive?

Nobody can predict the future.  All one can say definitively is that
nobody is rushing to implement your feature request in libbluray.
There seems to be no interest in that.  John S has suggested a path
that he feels is sensible.  As ever in open source, it is he who
provides the patches who generally determines the course of things.
The best way to get what you want is likely to be by providing a
patch.  Otherwise, you need to wait and see how someone ultimately
solves your problem, and when.  At present, based on the minimal
response, it does not appear there is any interest (by those doing the
coding, anyway) in adding native ISO/UDF 2.5 support to libbluray
itself.

Robert