[libbluray-devel] problems with JAVA

tux99-libbluray at uridium.org tux99-libbluray at uridium.org
Sat May 7 12:49:25 CEST 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 tux99-libbluray at uridium.org wrote:

> Also I noticed that when running bdj_test it looks for 'libbluray.so'
> and not for 'libbluray.so.0'. In most distros the '.so' symlink is
> included only in the devel package, the normal lib package only contains
> '.so.$major' and 'so.$major.$minor.0'.
>
> I'm not a programmer so it's hard for me to debug/fix myself but a quick
> 'grep -r libbluray.so *' in the sourcedir return a few instances where I
> see 'load libbluray.so'.
>
> Basically I trying to package up libbluray for SL6/RHEL6 (I know there
> are packages around already but they are old and incomplete) and
> currently bdj_test doesn't work unless I also install the -devel package
> which shouldn't be necessary.

I looked into this further and found that this actually seems to be a
limitation of the Java System.loadLibary() call (I have no Java skills
so please correct me if I'm wrong) used in:
src/libbluray/bdj/java/org/videolan/BDJLoader.java

It seems that System.loadLibary() only looks for 'libname.so', there
doesn't seem to be a way to make it look for 'libname.so.$major' as
would be more correct.

I guess for packaging libbluray that means that the libbluray.so link
has to be included in the libbluray RPM rather than the libbluray-devel
RPM.