problem with on-disc key cache

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 8 17:22:33 CET 2003

Hi,

We've found a problem in my key cache patch and just checked CVS,
you're version probably has the same problem.

    /* If the cache is enabled, extract a unique disc ID */
    if( psz_cache )
    {

..
        /* The data we are looking for is at sector 16 (32768 bytes):
         *  - offset 40: disc title (32 uppercase chars)
         *  - offset 813: manufacturing date + serial no (16 digits) */

        i_ret = dvdcss->pf_seek( dvdcss, 16 );
        if( i_ret != 16 )
        {
            goto nocache;
        }
..

this pf_seek() will NOT fail on mounted (ie. no raw access to the device)
case, but will seek relative to teh start of VOB files or something.
At least the bytes in this block aren't unique at all :(
We should either detect no raw access and disable on-disc cache, or
calculate unique disc id from something else (from the .IFO file maybe).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team