CSS doesn't work on my RPC-2 drive

Wout Mertens wmertens at cisco.com
Thu Oct 21 14:31:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

here's an interesting case:
Using PowerBook with SuperDrive, MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825, rev. DAM5. This
is an RPC-2 drive, with the region set to 2.

When I try to look at a DVD from region 1 using VLC, it can't decrypt
the stream. I tried several DVDs, and none of them worked.

In the end, I was able to see the stream properly using a USB-connected
RPC-2 drive, and mplayer/OSX. VLC didn't work.

So I conclude that the Matshita drive does something to foil
libdvdcss...

Thoughts? Things I should look for? Debug logs I should give you?

Wout.