drive auth troubles

Paul Walker vlc at blacksun.org.uk
Sat Sep 11 11:38:44 CEST 2004

Hi,

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic - there was no user list for
libdvdcss. I'll happily go elsewhere if re-directed. ;-)

I've been trying to play DVDs on my machine. I'm finding that a disc will
play for a while, then when I next try to play it - even if it's just
quitting the app and restarting - I get a libdvdcss error. It doesn't always
happen straight after quitting, so maybe there's some time component
involved. Trying another disc doesn't seem to help.

The error libdvdcss gives is:

Playing dvd://.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/dvd'
libdvdcss debug: using libc for access
libdvdcss debug: disc is scrambled
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss error: drive would not authenticate
libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading

Permissions seem okay:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Aug 26  2001 /dev/dvd -> hdc
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk      22,   0 Apr 15  2001 /dev/hdc

Tracing through, the library just doesn't seem to get a match to any of the
32 keys it tries (after doing SendChallenge and ReportKey1).

Any ideas...? I'm more than happy to supply further debug if needed. (If
it's relevant, this is using the Debian libdvdcss package.)

--
Paul

There are no problems that cannot be solved by the judicious use of high
explosives. -- British Commando quote, circa WWII.