libdvdcss

Wout Mertens wmertens at cisco.com
Tue Feb 1 10:00:39 CET 2005

On 31 Jan 2005, at 18:12, Wout Mertens wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2005, at 07:22, Jayhel Guislain wrote:
>
>> I installed libdvdcss on Mandrake 10.1 with either Kaffeine or Totem
>> I still
>> get the message that the DVD is encrypted. why? Should I execute some
>> kind of
>> command to decript that DVD?
>
> I also have problems with one drive and not with the other.
>
> Could you set the environment variable DVDCSS_VERBOSE to 2 before
> running a dvd player that uses libdvdcss?
>
> For example:
> $ export DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2
> $ vlc dvd://

This is what I get with a region 1 DVD on a region 2 Apple Powerbook
Superdrive:
========
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/rdisk2'
libdvdcss debug: using libc for access
libdvdcss debug: disc is scrambled
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: GetASF authenticated, ASF=1
libdvdcss debug: decrypting disc key with player keys
libdvdcss debug: decrypted disc key is 22:79:88:b5:d6
libdvdcss debug: using CSS key cache dir:
/Users/wmertens/.dvdcss/KOYAANISQATSI#2002061810341900/
libdvdnav: DVD Title: KOYAANISQATSI
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 3D0F6F1B___MVB__
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
'/Users/wmertens/.dvdnav/KOYAANISQATSI.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000.
Regions: 1

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000145
libdvdcss debug: key found in cache
[...]
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x001f6637
libdvdcss debug: key found in cache
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Found 8 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
[...]

libdvdcss error: read error
libdvdcss error: read error
=======

I then tried some more, with the cache turned off and the method set to
key:
=======
$ DVDCSS_METHOD=key
$ DVDCSS_CACHE=/dev/null
$ vlc dvd:///dev/rdisk2
[...]
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00000199
libdvdcss debug: getting title key the classic way
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReadTitleKey failed (region mismatch?)
libdvdcss debug: GetASF not authenticated, ASF=0
libdvdcss debug: lost ASF requesting title key
libdvdcss debug: resetting drive and cracking title key
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: GetASF authenticated, ASF=1
libdvdcss debug: decrypting disc key with player keys
libdvdcss debug: decrypted disc key is 22:79:88:b5:d6
libdvdcss debug: cracking title key
libdvdcss error: read error
libdvdcss debug: read error, resorting to secret arcanes to recover
libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/rdisk2'
libdvdcss debug: using libc for access
libdvdcss error: read error
libdvdcss debug: end of title reached
libdvdcss debug: 0 of 0 attempts successful, 0 of 2 blocks scrambled
libdvdcss debug: file was unscrambled
libdvdcss debug: title key is 00:00:00:00:00
libdvdcss debug: unencrypted title
libdvdread: Elapsed time 1
=======

Compare that to an external USB DVD drive, with the same setup on the
same system:
=======
$ vlc dvd:///dev/rdisk3
[...]
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00000199
libdvdcss debug: getting title key the classic way
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReadTitleKey failed (region mismatch?)
libdvdcss debug: GetASF not authenticated, ASF=0
libdvdcss debug: lost ASF requesting title key
libdvdcss debug: resetting drive and cracking title key
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: GetASF authenticated, ASF=1
libdvdcss debug: decrypting disc key with player keys
libdvdcss debug: decrypted disc key is 22:79:88:b5:d6
libdvdcss debug: cracking title key
libdvdcss debug: 1 of 1 attempts successful, 1 of 3 blocks scrambled
libdvdcss debug: vts key initialized
libdvdcss debug: title key is e1:c7:61:a9:39
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
=======

So on the same system with the same software but a different drive, it
works. The difference seems to be in the "cracking title key" part,
which reports a read error.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to tackle this?

Cheers,

Wout.