[libdvdcss-devel] Bypassing RPC-II sanity check fails on my system

Ben Livengood ben.livengood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:04:34 CEST 2009

On Linux with revision 228 of libdvdcss, I have a DVD drive with no
player region set, but it still plays region protected DVDs with older
versions of libdvdcss.  I set the environment variable
DVD_CSS_IGNORE_RPC="1", but still get failures when trying to play a
DVD.

At libdvdcss.c:381, when dvd-css->b_ignore_rpc is nonzero and i_ret is
-3 because the RPC-2 sanity check failed in _dvdcss_test(), "if( i_ret
== -3 && !dvdcss->b_ignore_rpc )" falls through to "else if( i_ret < 0
)" which disables the ioctl's, causing decryption to never be
attempted.  After applying the attached patch, it works for me again.

 Ben Livengood