[libdvdcss-devel] Translation french non-technical description of libdvdcss

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 21:14:16 CEST 2012

On 21/04/12 15:10, Crocy . wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I had some time and I both understand English and French, I did
> an effort to translate the french non-technical description of
> libdvdcss to English. You can find the text at the bottom of this mail
> and, if your spambox allows, in attachment. Please keep in mind that
> neither English nor French is my mothertongue.
> I hope you can use it.
Hi Cristophe,

I've made a few changes to the translation (see inline).
For reference, the original is at
http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.txt

Best regards

>     Non-technical description of libdvdcss (v2.1)
>
>     Libdvdcss is a functions library a program can use to explore the
>     content of a DVD.
>
>     1/ The DVD "zones"
>
>     All the commercial DVD's and DVD players include "zone
>     information". Due to this information DVD's and DVD players are
>     only useable in certain countries because the zone information
>     from the DVD player has to correspond with the zone information
>     from the DVD.
>
>     2/ The CSS
>
>     The CSS (Content Scrambling System) protects the large majority of
>     the commercial DVD's. Software developers for DVD player buy at
>     the DVD CCA (DVD Copy Control Association) keys to decrypt the CSS.
>
>     At the same time they become the user instructions of the CSS wich
>     are kept secret.

At the same time they obtain the instructions to use the CSS, which are
kept secret.

>     Using his key, and while reading the DVD, the software
>     communicates with the DVD player to get the decryption information.
>

>     /3 Copying the DVD
>
>     This encryptions don't protect the DVD from copying. It's possible
>     making a physical copy working perfectly the same (often called
>     bit-to-bit) when using the right equipment.

These encryptions don't protect the DVD from being copied. Using the
right equipment, it's possible to make a physical copy (often called
bit-to-bit) which works exactly the same as the original one.

>     And because the medium

Moreover, as the medium

>     has to be decrypted by the software from the DVD player to show
>     the content on the screen, this decrypted content is available
>     during the lecture regardless the used encryption.
>

>     4/ The weaknesses of CSS
>
>     CSS had been the object of academic studies wich have discovered
>     how this jamming algorithm works, using retro-analysis.

CSS has been the subject of academic studies which have discovered how
this jamming algorithm works, using reverse engineering.

>     Later, these studies have shown that the used CSS key are
>     cryptographically very weak wich has lead to more efficient
>     decryption algorithms and the discovery of the keys. It's possible
>     the obtain an exhaustive list on your home computer just in a few
>     minutes.

Later, these studies have shown that the keys used by CSS are
cryptographically very weak, leading to more efficient decryption