[libdvdcss-devel] cache: use libxdg-basedir and save cache into XDG-compliant location.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 27 08:19:38 CET 2013

On 26 Feb 2013, at 14:57, git at videolan.org (Diego Elio Pettenò) wrote:

> libdvdcss | branch: xdgcache | Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes at flameeyes.eu> | Tue Feb 26 14:55:48 2013 +0100| [8af8d2d561721af6eb30a7e8d26a94063c18c5d1] | committer: Diego Elio Pettenò
>
> cache: use libxdg-basedir and save cache into XDG-compliant location.
>
> For most users, this means that ~/.dvdcss is replaced by
> ~/.cache/dvdcss, but now it follows XDG_CACHE_HOME instead of
> DVDCSS_CACHE to know where to store it.

Since I've said it so often I don't know if there is a point, but XDG cache dir is completely inappropriate IMHO.
The data in it can _not_ generally be restored, just try e.g. installing a new drive and dvdcss will stop working completely until the use manually configures a region.
There are also cases where titles are too short for cracking and thus only manually created key files work (which btw. speaks against the binary format, also look at e.g. libaacs, they too use text format files).

Reimar