[libdvdcss-devel] Release 1.3.0 approaching

Bernard Lang blvlc at datcha.net
Wed Mar 13 16:00:21 CET 2013

> > How about the controversial change to save keys in binary format, is
> > this definite?
>
> I did not see a consensus on that one, so this should wait.

If I may comment on this as a user:

The use of readable caches in ASCII is an old UNIX principle that
often proves useful, if only as a form of easily readable
documentation about the software concerned.

Typically, I currently have a problem communicating with K3B from a
script without using the GUI and without getting into the K3B
code. The fact that K3B data is stored in a human readable ASCII file
: ~/.kde4/share/config/k3brc (like other KDE apps that are all in
~/.kde4/share/config/) is making my life a lot easier.

Another thing that I find very helpful in a similar way is the verbose
mode and the debugging mode DVDCSS_VERBOSE="2". It helps to understand
what is going on without getting into the code, or before doing it
(which does help understand a program).  My worry is that "debugging
mode" is an informal status, not intended for users, and could
possibly be altered by developpers without a second thought.

Actually, I use libdvdcss from a script by launching VLC and parsing
the "debug" messages to get the information I need, such as the
location of the cache (among several other data). If it is decided by
the development team to change the location of the cache, it does not
matter to me as I get the current location directly from the libdvdcss
execution. I find this very convenient for my purpose and a lot faster
than fighting my way in the C code.

But if you were to remove some of these "libdvdcss debug:" messages,
my program would no longer work, and I would not know how to repare
the damage with reasonable effort.

Hence I would feel a lot more comfortable if these optionnal messages
were promoted to a stronger status as a feature (an optional one as it
is now) of libdvdcss rather than being merely a debugging tool.

Bernard