[libdvdcss-devel] win32: Use proper handle instead of file descriptor to access devices

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Wed Nov 19 23:16:37 CET 2014

On 2014-11-17 11:18 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 02:33:49AM +0000, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> > On 16 November 2014 21:53, Diego Biurrun <git at videolan.org> wrote:
> > > libdvdcss | branch: master | Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> | Sun Nov 16 18:36:39 2014 +0100| [1b4e3f9e1c4e7b53cce59b802f95f6400ba641dd] | committer: Diego Biurrun
> > >
> > > win32: Use proper handle instead of file descriptor to access devices
> >
> > Wait, this breaks ABI for win64 doesn't it?
>
> Well, yeah, that's basically the whole idea.  Assuming that int and HANDLE
> are the same type or even the same width is not safe on Windows.
>
> Should I bump some version thingie for this?

  May I kindly request to revert 1b4e3f9 ?

  This commit causes several problems on Windows.

  It broke:
  - device.c:dvdcss_use_ioctls
  - integrity of the code base because it's incompatible with ioctl.c design
  - test/dvd_region.c (it uses internals and thus is not the same as below)
  - test/csstest and probably all other downstream clients

  I can imagine ways to make a similar change possible, but I would like
to see further discussion about this before giving it a new try. Reverting
the commit for now seems the best way to *not* leave the Windows platform
broken meanwhile. Simple "git revert 1b4e3f9" should still be possible.

  Alexander