[libdvdcss-devel] xine fails to play dvds with libdvdcss 1.4.0

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Apr 12 06:36:00 CEST 2016

xine does not play anymore dvds if libdvdcss 1.4.0 is installed.

With libdvdcss 1 3.0 (and dvdread/dvdnav 5.0.3) xine plays regularly
a dvd and shows this output in the terminal:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: vm: dvd_read_name failed
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

When I use libdvdcss 1.4.0 xine cannot play a dvd and in the terminal I get this message:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO with libdvdcss.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP with libdvdcss.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO

I bisected libdbdcss and I found the commit that causes the failure:

commit 6b95108d3de1755beab102b3a02ca7ef02494bd1
Author: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
Date:   Fri Nov 14 11:15:12 2014 +0100

    Clean up and simplify raw device support.

    Treat access to raw devices just like accessing any other device instead of
    providing different semantics. libdvdcss now tries raw devices on all OSes
    and bails out instead of continuing if accessing a raw device failed.

If I compile libdvdcss 1.4.0 reverting such commit, then xine works again.

Giacomo