[libdvdcss-devel] libdvdcss error: seek error

Naftuli Tzvi Kay rfkrocktk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 05:27:07 CET 2016

​I'm creating my own private RPM repository and have packaged the following
packages pertinent to libdvdcss:
​​

   - ​libdvdcss
   <https://github.com/rfkrocktk/teekopolis-yum-repo/blob/master/specs/libdvdcss.spec>
   - libdvdnav </>
   - libdvdread
   <https://github.com/rfkrocktk/teekopolis-yum-repo/blob/master/specs/libdvdread.spec>

​By clicking the above links, you can view the build commands that I'm
using to produce the packages. Nothing in there is atypical except for the
fact that I'm having libdvdread link directly to libdvdcss via the
​"--with-libdvdcss" flag. Also, all packages are built with PIE/PIC and
various default hardening flags from the default RedHat hardened build
flags.

​I have run a number of tests with various software and always get garbled
output, indicating to me that libdvdcss isn't working properly. The easiest
example to demonstrate this is using dvdbackup:​

$ sudo DVDCSS_METHOD=disc DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 dvdbackup -i /dev/sr0 -o parks/
-M
[sudo] password for naftuli:
libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/sr0'
libdvdcss debug: using libc API for access
libdvdcss debug: disc reports copyright information 0x0
libdvdcss error: CSS error: could not get RPC (Regional Playback Control)
status. Assuming RPC-I drive.
libdvdcss debug: drive region(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, region mask 0x0, RPC-I,
no region code set
libdvdcss debug: disc is unscrambled
libdvdcss debug: Content Scrambling System (CSS) key cache dir:
/VIDEO-2012070514374300-/

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdcss error: seek error
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB (0xDEADBEEF)
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdcss error: seek error
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB (0xDEADBEEF)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdcss error: seek error
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB (0xDEADBEEF)
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdcss error: seek error
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB (0xDEADBEEF)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0xDEADBEEF
libdvdcss error: seek error
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB (0xDEADBEEF)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Found 7 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0

Obviously, 0xDEADBEEF is obfuscated.

This machine is a VM in VirtualBox and forwards the optical drive into the
VM. If this is problematic, I can attempt to work on an ISO of the DVD,
which I have unfortunately been unable to produce using dd, as it appears
that this disk uses weird bad sectors to try and discourage copying. In
trying out things on a physical machine, I have been able to reproduce the
issue.

Is this a known bug with the seek error? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
 - Naftuli Tzvi